Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 41: Eads, CO to Dighton, KS

Today's Mileage: 125!!!
Total Mileage: 2203

We woke up super-early, and this time were able to beat some of the heat. It was so quiet as the sun came up, and I enjoyed watching the deer and jackrabbits on the prairie.

The road was bumpy and obnoxious in places, but the cool morning air kept my spirits high and I managed to ride at about 17 mph. It felt good to be cruising after so much slow, hot riding the day before. The ride was split up into manageable segments by the nicely spaced towns, and the people I met were great: helpful, friendly small-town folks eager to chat and give out free food.

After crossing into Kansas, I also crossed into Central Time, and suddenly the day felt a lot hotter. I decided to spend the afternoon lounging around Leoti before continuing on in the cool of the evening. Even lying in the shade, I was sweating, and the biting flies were eating me alive, so I didn't get much sleep.

Leoti was having their county fair, with 25-cent rides, so I rode the ferris wheel and "merry mixer" before deciding I was too dizzy for more.

Finally leaving town around 10 p.m., the road was empty and quiet. There were a million stars out, and I saw at least six shooting across the sky. Jackrabbits peered through glowing eyes before scampering off into the grass, and I tried not to think of the chupacabras. The best part was the night air at my back, cooling me and gently pushing me East. (I would say that the silence was lovely, but it was punctuated by the new cricket sound my bike makes when I pedal in certain gears - gotta look into this).

At 3 a.m. I arrived in Dighton and slept for a couple hours. I was so excited to have completed my first century ride!* I was so tired I barely even felt my sore butt and knees.

*And to any nay-sayers, I'm counting ALL 125 miles as my first century because they ocurred within one 24-hour period, even if I did take a long break in there!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, way to go! Keep it up!
JB

Unknown said...

That's 125 miles more then I have done in my life time! Keep on keepin'on!

DF and RB said...

So the old "grocery cart" has re-emerged, hopefully you can find another San Bernardino type bike shop.

You should definitely count the whole 125; congratulations!

Roll On,
Fox