Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 53: Tebbetts, MO to Washington, MO

Today's Mileage: 70
Total Mileage: 2820

We woke up nice and early at the bike hostel and got ready to ride some more on the Katy Trail. We were looking forward to riding without any cars, but this time in the daytime where we could enjoy the scenery a little more.

After some quick breakfast and trips to the post office, we were on our way. The day was great - cool air underneath the tree canopy, and lots of humidity made easy breathing. Plus, riding along the Missouri River meant no hills! I was happy, except for the annoyance of gravel getting stuck between my the top of my brake and my tire... the problem is that my bike wasn't made to fit my burly tires, so I have very little clearance and any small bit of debris makes my wheels drag. It sounds like I'm flying an airplane... but besides that, the riding conditions were great!

We stopped in Hermann for lunch, and wasted a bunch of time around town, fixing bike noises and eating chocolates. We finally got back on the trail and continued riding into the evening to arrive in Washington, where we would be staying with the Tylers, family of Sarah (Karin and Debbie's New York friend).

We crossed over the wide Missouri once again, enjoying the sunset on the silver water as fog covered the surrounding farmland. Once in Washington, a man in a pickup truck stopped us on the street... and it turned out he was Larry Tyler, there to drive us the last three miles to his house. As it was dark out by this point, we were grateful for the surprise and piled the bikes into his truck. The Tylers welcomed us with a glass of wine, a beautiful home, a warm shower, a chiropractic adjustment, and their excellent company.

No comments: