Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day 52: Eldon, MO to Tebbetts, MO




Today's Mileage: 51
Total Mileage: 2750

I woke up at 10 a.m. and was shocked that I had managed to sleep in so late, even though it was pitch black in the basement where I had spent the night. Oh well... I guess needed it. In any case, we had planned to spend the morning with the Pike family, so I wasn't late getting on the bike.

After some delicious pancakes and eggs, courtesy of Wesley, the activities began. We played with the goats, blew bubbles, rode bikes, and best of all, rode the horses. I got stuck with Mackenzie's horse Silky, who was high-spirited and kept trying to scrape me off on the fence. I had a great time, even though riding bareback was challenging and a little scary.

We said our good-byes and got on the road at 1:30. It was an easy 30 miles to Jefferson City. We visited J & D Bike Shop, where Wesley fixed a spoke and Debbie got her gears tuned up.

For dinner, we splurged a little and went to an Italian sit-down place and indulged in some wine, since we only had a few miles left for the evening, and it was all on a bike path.

Our ride out of Jefferson City took us across the Missouri River at sunset - quite a sight with the Capitol building in the background.

We were so excited to arrive at the Katy Trail, a bikes-only trail that crosses almost the entire state. The trail is made of crushed rock (white chert) and is well-maintained. Frogs were everywhere, and sadly, I'm pretty sure I ran over a couple slow ones by accident.

As night closed in around us, the trail got spooky. There were no lights but the the small lamps we had on our heads, and the trail was covered in cobwebs that stuck to us as we rolled by. Of course, our imaginations got the best of us and we started creating axe-murderer scenarios in our heads. We were riding fast, but not fast enough to beat the darkness. Luckily for us, the trail was smooth and we all stayed upright on the bikes.

We got to Tebbetts and started looking for the bike hostel. The key was hanging from a hook on a telephone pole, and we let ourselves in. I can't remember the last time I was so happy to see a long row of bunkbeds. This place was AWESOME! There were showers and a bike maintenance room, and we had it ALL to ourselves.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey girlie! The bike hostel sounded awesome :) Just wanted to let you know my phone finally died and I am awaiting my new one--hopefully to arrive this week. So, are you still in Central time? When is the best time to call? Miss you! xoxo

srenne said...

Here's another attempt at blogging.
Most don't seem to reach you.
How awesome, you guys must be close to crossing that Ol' Man River. At this point, you've already done the milage of BOTH my rides to Minnesooooota!!! It took me 5 years to do 2 rides. You're all approaching cycling-god status. Be careful, that's a tough title to uphold. Pedal hard. Press