Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 43: Rush Center, KS to Hutchinson, KS

Today's Mileage: 94
Total Mileage: 2363

The morning was lovely as the sun came up. The road ahead was empty of cars with softly rolling hills. It is amazing what a few hours of rest can do for your mood and morale.

I rolled into Great Bend and went in search of supplies. Most important was finding the right "butt grease." Since my Aquaphor had run out, I had returned to using the much inferior Chamois Cream on my rear end, and I was starting to feel it. After about five weeks in the saddle, it is still VERY important to take care of the tushie.

I continued on to Lyons, where my road turned South. The headwinds picked up, but what really sucked was the afternoon heat. Luckily, the adorable towns I passed through had places to get cold drinks, so I stayed hydrated and happy.

I rolled into Hutchinson and found a really cheap motel. I was SO excited to take a real shower and get some rest. I fell asleep without even eating dinner.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
srenne said...

OMG!! you're almost to Misery or is that Missouri? Either way, you and your troops are an inspiration, in so many ways, to so many people. Be proud of what you're accomplishing, we're proud as hell of you all.
Ride strong, Press.

Tio Max said...

How about using a more comfortable bike seat???

Anonymous said...

I guess I picked the right day to check the blog. All I can say as I am speechless. Now I know what butt grease is. Your half way home. Check facebook for some photos from my trip. Keep rollin. Rodge

Anonymous said...

I guess I picked the right day to read the blog. All I can say is I am speechless. But at least I can take comfort in knowing what butt grease is. Your half way home? Check facebook for photos of our trip. Keep rolling. Rodge