Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 42: Dighton, KS to Rush Center, KS

Today's Mileage: 66
Total Mileage: 2269

After sleeping a couple of hours in the grass by a museum, I got back on the bike and pushed on while it was still cool out.

I arrived in Ness City, a town that seemed to once upon a time have been something special, complete with cobbled brick streets ans some interesting old buildings. This Saturday, it was dead.

The kids at the pool let me take a shower, and I headed over to the laundromat. Luckily for me, the laundromat was carpeted - perfect for a catnap on the floor. Unfortunately, EVERYONE who came in wanted to chat, even though I had my map open over my face and was probably snoring too.

So I tried my luck at the park. For the first time since leaving the mountains, the flies weren't biting. I managed to get a couple hours of sleep, even though the baseball tournament announcer was really loud.

I had an excellent milkshake and waited around for the day to cool off. Around 9 p.m. I headed out on my bike. For whatever reason, the riding wasn't fun. I'm not normally afraid of the dark, but my mind was playing tricks on me and everything seemed to be moving around me. The night was loud with bugs, not like the night before. My butt was hurting, my legs didn't want to pedal, and I was NOT happy.

I managed to make it to Rush Center, where I "camped" beside the post office.

Overall, the day was a little bit of a let-down, both in terms of fun had and distance covered... but averaged with my miles from the previous day, I was still happy with my progress.

No comments: