Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 65: Cincinnati, OH to Hillsboro, OH


Today's Mileage: 69
Total Mileage: 3297

We began our day a little later than usual, because all of us had enjoyed staying up to watch TV the night before, and we agreed to sleep in until 8 a.m. Continental breakfast at the Ramada was ritzier than we're used to, so we ate a bunch before heading out on our bikes.

The ride out of Cincinnati was sort of ugly and there was a ton of traffic. Even once we had found our way out of downtown, there were tons of cars on the road. We happened to see a bike shop, so Karin and I stopped in to get a few minor problems fixed. Smitty's Bike Shop turned out to be a real find, and the guys inside were so helpful and generous! I got my rear brake fixed, my rear wheel trued, my right hood back in place, a cable replaced and all my gears tuned up... as well as a free water bottle and socks! Thanks, Marty and Grant!

Karin and I set out for Skyline, one of the chains famous for Cincinnati Chili, which is a sort of a meat sauce served over spaghetti with a TON of cheese. By the time we were nice and full of chili, it was already 2:30, so we continued the ride to Hillsboro.

Highway 50 had no shoulder and a lot of traffic. Further complicating matters was the introduction of some hills, a land feature I had forgotten about since the Ozarks: argh!

We finally made it to the campground, just a few hilly miles East of Hillsboro, where Debbie was waiting. There was just enough time for a shower before it was dark and we crawled into our tents.

2 comments:

srenne said...

By my count, you've had your way with 9 states so far.. just 2 to go. Soon C.A.'s B.B.R. will be a fond memory and a legendary story. What a story at that. I want the hard-cover edition!! Congrats..
Ride hard, Press

DF and RB said...

Press, what do you mean "2 to go"?? I thought she was turning around and coming back through the southern states after a couple of days rest; that would make her almost half done!