Monday, August 11, 2008

Day 51: Linn Creek, MO to Eldon, MO


Today's Mileage: 22(+)
Total Mileage: 2699

We began our day with a hike down a steep gravel road to the camp bathrooms, and talked a little with our friendly hosts before heading on our way. They were surprised to hear that we had been through Iola, Kansas, their old stomping grounds, and even gotten in the newspaper.

The first stop was in Osage Beach for a delicious breakfast. We headed for Pike Chiropractic, where we would meet our hostess for the night, the sister of Debbie and Karin's friend Scott in New York. After passing countless miniature golf courses, go-cart tracks, and other tourist attractions, we arrived at the Pikes' practice. We met Amy and Chuck, who graciously offered us a stay at their home in Eldon that night.

While Debbie used the computer at the chiropractic place, Wesley, Karin and I headed on to Lake Ozark in search of a bike shop. We were really pleased at the friendliness and great service we found at the Ozark Cyclery. Wesley had his bottom bracket fixed, and Karin managed to get rid of a bunch of excess baggage, fitting all of her necessary belongings in two small panniers and mailing the rest home. I had given up on my handlebar bag the day before because it was interfering with my shifting, but I broke down and bought a new, smaller one that I am very happy with.

We purchased a few spare tubes and were on our way to Eldon. Amy's instructions were to look for a billboard advertising knee replacement surgery after getting to the top of a big hill, and turn left into her driveway. Although a knee replacement is probably what I was thinking about after climbing this hill, I must have been distracted... I missed the billboard entirely and went another four miles before I sensed I had gone too far. After consulting with the others, who were already showered and lounging, I turned around and found the Pikes' driveway. I had NOT been warned about the insanely steep driveway, but was relieved to learn that all of us had been forced to walk our bikes up it.

Once at the house, I met three of the Pike girls, Carissa, Mackenzie, and Abigail, and visited with their lovely 80-year-old babysitter. The house was huge, comfortable and beautiful, and the girls were very gracious and welcoming. The Pike parents came home and we had a delicious family-style dinner, did some laundry, and watched the Olympics.

No comments: