Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 40: Ordway, CO to Eads, CO


Today's Mileage: 63
Total Mileage: 2078

Once again, we attempted an early start to beat the heat. The cafe opened late, and our breakfast took a while, so we weren't on the road until after 8 a.m. The first few miles were cool and pleasant.

The winds kicked in strong, but they were mostly crosswinds. Nonetheless, our progress East was slow and grueling. We finally reached Haswell, the 2/3 rest point of our ride, where we were fortunate to find the propane shop open. The propane guy sold us tons of cold drinks and snacks, and after a couple hours of rest (me sleeping under a tree outside, Karin and Debbie watching TV on the couch inside), we were ready to finish the ride. It was somewhat cooler after 5 p.m. and the sun was at our backs, so we continued without too much suffering.

A few miles out of Eads, I remarked to myself how much the prairie dogs sounded like cats meowing. I was surprised to hear the sound still so close, and I turned around to look. Sure enough, it was following me! Only, it wasn't a prairie dog, but a tiny kitten racing down the highway behind me at full speed, and bawling at the top of his lungs.

Now, I'm not much of a cat person, but this little guy was too cute not to stop. Debbie and I figured he was an unwanted kitten left on the side of the road to die. He was so affectionate and starved for attention that we decided to take him into town, where he might have better luck. He wouldn't cooperate when we tried to balance him on top of our things, so we let him run alongside the bikes for a while. Then Debbie wrapped him in a towel and put him in her handlebar bag, where he sat calmly. We pulled into town and saw some children selling rocks, and the kitten jumped off the bike and ran to the arms of a little boy. I love happy endings. I'm sure that little boy's parents do too ;)

Wesley had managed to finagle a free all-you-can-eat dinner at the high school, but our cat-saving got us there too late to partake. We ate at a cafe and opted for a motel, since we were all badly in need of showers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It was Buster that tought you compassion for cats! Ride on!
Still waiting for the bios

Molly Shapiro, L.Ac said...

I can't believe you've been gone for 40 days already. Sheesh. Cute cat story...Ceci saving lives and making little kids happy. I hear Hells Angels is recruiting :)

Maxine said...

Cecibelle-- What happened to Thursday, July 31 ? And I checked your mileage. (a day in Ordway, which you preferred not to chronicle?)
love, dad