Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 30: Telluride, CO to Montrose, CO

Today's Mileage: 66
Total Mileage: 1664

After a night of partying in Telluride, we indulged a little and slept in until 8 a.m. After slowly drying out our wet tents, packing up our things, and making some last-minute adjustments to the bikes, we finally got on the road around 11.

The first few miles out of town were downhill. At Placerville, we took a new road and headed up to the 8970 ft. pass at Devil's Divide. It was a mellow climb, but I was looking forward to having a picture at the top. Although I've been higher than 8000' elevation on this trip, I hadn't yet gotten a picture of a summit at that level. So I was disappointed when I got to the top and there was no sign to add to my collection.

We cruised into Ridgway and had lunch at a cool little cafe that featured a bunch of posters of old Westerns, and some tasty chili.

We got back on the road after 4:30, and had a great time flying through the last 27 miles to Montrose. Even though there was a light headwind, we sped along the downhills and flats, watching the lightning and thunder brewing in the west.

Once in Montrose, we opted for a motel, which ended up being a good decision, since the wind picked up and drove some hard rain our way.

1 comment:

srenne said...

I am loving every word you write and the pictures make it all that much better. Thank you so much. But it really isn't fair..you're having way more fun than I did on my bike journeys. It's OK, I don't hate you for it!!! Keep on blogging..Press