Saturday, July 5, 2008

Day 14: Eureka, NV to Ely, NV

Today's Mileage: 78
Total Mileage: 875

We woke up late (7:30 a.m.) and began a 4.75 mile ascent up the first summit on Highway 50. My bike felt SO heavy and the going was slow. I did spot a coyote crossing the road.

After crossing the first range, we entered a large basin. Wesley had some deer running alongside him (racing him?!) through the valley.

The day was long: several mountain passes at 7000+ feet punctuated by long valleys. There were few cars and no stops for water or snacks.

Shortly before the third big climb, we ran into some other touring cyclists going in the opposite direction. It really boosted my morale to talk to people with 77 days and 4300 miles under their belts.

Even though the ride was long and tough, I had one of my best riding days so far - aches and pains were minimal and I felt strong and energized all day.

When we had only five downhill miles left to get into Ely, a fierce headwind kicked up. We fought our way DOWNhill at 7 mph and checked into historic Hotel Nevada, the tallest and first fireproof building in the state when it was built in 1929. Our room on the 5th floor was easily accessed by elevator, and we "enjoyed" showers that fluctuated drastically in temperature due to the old age of the plumbing.

Dinner was at a Chinese food place, which satisfied a need for fresh vegetables. We were all happy at the prospect of sleeping in on our rest day, so we indulged in some beers and stayed up until the late hour of 11:30.

1 comment:

Tio Max said...

Hi, Ceci

Annette and I are enjoying reading your blog. You seem to be getting stronger as you go along.
I was listening to a radio interview the other day by a guy who hiked the Pacific Crest Train (??). He said that after the 1st few days, his mind was completely empty except for 4 things: 1. How much water do I have? 2. How much further do I have to go today? 3. How much do I hurt? and 4. How much food do I have. What do you think?

Tio Max