Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Day 24: Hite, UT to Blanding, UT


Today's Mileage: 77
Total Mileage: 1449

We had a big ride with no water stops ahead of us, so Wesley and I got up early and managed to leave at 6:30 a.m.

The ride began with more of the same awful climb out of the Colorado River. We wound around through White Canyon and enjoyed the views in the morning light. The air felt fresh and we were smooth sailing. Every uphill was followed by a decent recovery period.

I was doing a good job of staying hydrated and resting/stretching my back every 10 miles.

When there were about 15 miles left to go, I was making my way up a steady grade when I met up with a touring cyclist headed the other way. She and I stopped to chat a couple minutes and look at each other's maps. I felt myself get a little head rush, and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground with my bike on top of me -- I had fainted! How crazy is that?! The woman said I was only out for a few seconds, and I was glad she was there because she happened to be a firefighter. So, needless to say, I took a little rest in the shade and had some more snacks and water. I can only imagine that the heat got to me, or perhaps just exhaustion, because I really was well-watered and fed when I passed out.

I continued on, feeling strong, for about two more miles when all of a sudden, the ABSOLUTE steepest, longest, worst hills jumped up in front of me. (I know I keep saying that each hill was worse than the last, but Wesley agreed with me, so I'm not exaggerating).

I don't know how I managed those last few climbs. I definitely had to stop a couple times... but I made it.

I was so happy to see a gas station at the junction with Highway 191. I stopped to have one of the best-tasting Cokes I have ever had, even though there were only a few miles left to Blanding. The clerk at the store promised me that the last few miles were a gentle grade, so I continued in to town, where Wesley had gotten a hotel room. Luckily for the store clerk, he wasn't lying.

5 comments:

DF and RB said...

After my brief "hot, high, steep, narrow, winding" experience I am more than ever impressed! Have you gotten wet yet?

Keep blogging, texting, calling.

Roll On,
Fox

Unknown said...

I'm glad you survived your fainting experience unscathed! Are you carrying a thermometer? I wonder how hot it is getting on your travels. One can die from heat exposure, as I'm sure you know.

The thing about Utah street names is that, in Salt Lake City anyway, all streets start from the Mormon temple. A friend's address in SLC is 6__ South 1300 East, so she is on the sixth block south of the temple and 13 blocks east of the temple.

Stay fed, hydrated and rested!

Margaret Allsebrook

Anonymous said...

UT looks really, really, really hot! Great photos. I wonder if there are any beer in that lake? I am off to Oregon and Washington Monday. Will try to send photos of Crater Lake!

Unknown said...

Love the photos. Keep it up. Remember it's all downhill from Pueblo!
JB

Anonymous said...

Ceci, you look great! (Wesley too!) It's good to see the pictures. Thanks!

Keep peddling!

Sylvia