Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 27: Dove Creek, CO to Stoner, CO

Today's Mileage: 53
Total Mileage: 1549

We woke up early, in the chilly morning air to start our ride. The first 36 miles to Dolores were very pleasant: the air was cool, the hills soft and rolling, and the farmland picturesque.

We stopped at the Narraguinnep Reservoir for a dip in some refreshing water and some snacks.

Once in Dolores, we were thrilled to find the bike shop. My bike (aka the Shopping Cart) was making tons of noise and the gears were grinding all over the place. I also wanted to get a new stem, which would allow me to sit more upright, and hopefully relieve some back pain.

Wesley got some new cycling shorts, and we all admired his never-before-seen shapely legs. Karin got a rearview mirror for her sunglasses.

It was midday and hot, and since we had to wait for my bike, we lounged around Dolores. All of us were charmed by the little town, its restaurant, its children running a lemonade stand, and the relaxed pace of life under a tree at the park.

When my bike was ready, I decided to make another improvement to my set up, and bought a Camelbak-type of backpack. In addition to letting me carry more water, this new space let me move things around on my bike, eliminating the awkward tool bag on the back of the bike that had my gear sitting up way too high.

Satisfied with our purchases, we made one last stop at the Dolores River Brewery, where I was disappointed by their Pale Ale.

We expected the last 14 miles of the day to be a bit of a climb, so we didn't leave until after 5 p.m., when the day had cooled off substantially. We were pleased to enjoy an easy ride along the Dolores River.

The one campground in Stoner was empty, and we were happy to have use of the showers inside some vacant cabins.

The evening got colder and colder, and we were glad to have use of the cabins for cooking, since it turned out that the Stoner Cafe was closed.

No comments: