Monday, June 30, 2008

Day 9: Benton, CA to Hawthorne, NV









Today's mileage: 89!
Total mileage: 538!


We started our day at the hot springs just outside of Benton, CA. It's amazing that the same stretch of road can be so incredibly different going the other direction. The night before, we were struggling and pushing the last three miles to the campsite... but this morning we practically flew those same three miles back to the main route.

We had the good fortune to talk at great length with Diane, the owner of the hot springs. She is an avid touring cyclist and had lots of information to share about the area. After much deliberation, we decided to take a route that puts us somewhat more north and west than we'd prefer, but that at least promises some water along the way. (The other way to Ely via Tonopah would have put us through a 130 mile stretch with no access to water: not an option).


After six miles on Highway 6, we entered Nevada! We promptly began the three-mile climb to Montgomery Pass, where we cleared over 7000 feet of elevation.


Then we enjoyed a 25-mile downhill that took us back to almost 4000 ft. It was a good thing that it was downhill, because we traveled over 50 miles with no access to water except the dwindling supply we were carrying.

Things would have been great, but I got pulled over and ticketed for running THE ONLY STOP SIGN WITHIN 50 MILES! The citation will cost me $112 - ugh.

Downtrodden and demoralized, we stopped for lunch in Mina, the only inhabited place between point A and point B on today's ride.

Because there was nowhere else to stop, we had planned to make it a long day and continue the remaining 34 miles into Hawthorne. The last 25 miles were SO BRUTAL. Headwinds kept us from traveling more than 7 mph, including on the downhills. The air was hot, and permeated by the smell of fresh tar (which also made our tires sticky, slow, and covered with debris). It took over an hour to ride the last 9 miles of the day.

We were thrilled to check into a hotel with a pool, shower up, and relax. Best of all, our room was right by the ice machine. Ah, the simple things that make life so good.

8 comments:

DF and RB said...

I can't believe you got a ticket, I am laughing out loud...

I guess that's an appropriate use for some of your "going away" cash.

We had a cool ride around the big bay yesterday for beers followed by burgers and more beers.

Molly Shapiro, L.Ac said...

"But officer, I'm out of cream for my tender bottom, and I must get to a drug store."

I'm so proud of you, Ceci--way to make it to Nevada!

Anonymous said...

A ticket?!?! That just made my day because I really am laughing. You would've thought the officer would've given you a break. Perhaps the zipper to your jersey wasn't unzippered enough! ;-)

Unknown said...

I don't see how you getting a ticket is funny! What's with you guys??? Don't worry, Cecilia, that cop will get his.

Your writing is fabulous. Very Entertaining. I think you should take this adventure and turn it into a book and have a grand payday!!!!

Unknown said...

You're a rockstar babes! Can't wait to read more updates... Stay strong my sista!

Unknown said...

Wow girl, that is amazing that you are already in Nevada! I'm glad to hear things are going well (besides the damn ticket--talk about filling a quota!!!). I'm thinking of you often :)

Unknown said...

I just read your blog from the beginning. I've been in Colorado and mostly away from internet, except occasionally at Estes Park library. Should I worry that you haven't posted since 6/30? You are probably away from internet too. I'm glad you made it to Nevada, I think, tho it's mostly bleak. I grew up in southern Nevada near Las Vegas. Is the dog on the whole trip with you? Your dog?

Best wishes for a great trip! What an undertaking!

Margaret Allsebrook

Unknown said...

Ha Ha!

Sorry, could not resist...

-Dave (Master Chief's friend)