Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 1: San Diego, CA to Temecula, CA


Today's Mileage: 70

Ugh. That's pretty much all there is to say after today.

The day started out beautifully. I was happy to have many friends meet me at the Ocean Beach pier, where a surf competition was in progress. After some sad good-byes, Wesley and I dipped our tires in the Pacific and started the ride with 16 friends in tow. We had expected the day to be really hot but the weather felt great once we were moving up the coast.

Our first stop was in Solana Beach, to meet up with more riders. We took pictures in front of Pizza Port, a favorite stop for post-ride beers. But since it was early still, we rode on to the Pizza Port in Carlsbad for lunch.

We continued up the coast to Oceanside, where I took my last look at the Pacific Ocean before heading East.

And then there were four: me, Wesley, Rosemary and Alpine Dave. The ride took us on a scenic bike path along a river.

At a certain point, things turned ugly (for me; everybody else was fine). It's hard to say exactly what my problem was, but I was NOT cut out for the last part of the ride. A long steady incline got the better of me and I had to stop several times to consider dying on the side of the road. Between the heat, the hills, dehydration, carrying extra weight, some inexplicable arm pain, and my general wimpiness, I had a really rough time. I was so glad to jump into the pool when we finally got to a motel in Temecula.

Tomorrow is a new day.

7 comments:

Molly Shapiro, L.Ac said...

Way to make it through a tough first day....Always remember how strong and awesome you are :)

Molly

TaziArthur said...

Congrats on getting through your first day! I'm definitely looking forward to more posts and pictures.

Unknown said...

Hi Cecilia...Sorry to hear about the tail-end of your ride to Temecula. You're strength and undying motivation got you through it, though! You are such a go-getter that you can do anything that you set your mind to - remember that!

Unknown said...

Ceci you rock! I was so excited to read you made it to Temecula, that's amazing. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Unknown said...

Best of luck. I'll be following your blog. I'm guessing you'll get used to long days in the saddle and will have a couple of breezy 120-mile days before you are through.

Cheers,
JB at O'Brien's

Ryan Mlynarczyk said...

wimpy!! hah! 70 miles is INSANELY tough! Mandy and I have only done 50 in one day and we thought we were going to die! :) keep it up! :)

Nina said...

After knowing you finished the trip, it's really cool to see this post... I plan to get through them all.. it's such an exciting adventure.