Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day 73: Berryville, VA to FINISH LINE: Washington, DC

Today's Mileage: 69
FINAL TOTAL MILEAGE: 3737

The last day of my Big Bike Ride had arrived. I had mixed feelings as we left Berryville. I was excited to get to DC, but not looking forward to facing the "real world" again: job, rent, bills, ugh. Mostly, though, I was excited to finish the bike trip.


We rode in on the Washington & Old Dominion bike path from Purcellville, which was a nice change of pace from the highways we had been traveling. Laura had put up welcome signs along the way!


We crossed Key Bridge into Washington, DC and headed for the Thomspon Boat House on the Potomac River. But first -- the finish line!


I was really happy to see all kinds of friends and family had turned out to welcome me home.


Laura and baby Lionel were wearing special T-shirts for the event, including a map of my route and a list of cities I had toured through on the back!


I dipped my front tire in the Potomac, making my arrival by bike in DC official.


Ana Marisa carried our gear back to her house so the bikes were light for the final climb up Wisconsin Avenue to her house. It was a good thing I had all those balloons, because I didn't have a bike light!

The bike ride across the country was an amazing couple of months. I accomplished something big, and along the way pushed myself past my comfort zone more than a few times.

I was able to let go of a lot of frustration at the world and focus on the important things, like what kind of ice cream do I want right now? Being forced to live in a very physical realm, where my only real concerns were about shelter, food, body and bike performance allowed me unwind from the stress of my job and forget the sillier things that preoccupied me.

I got to see our beautiful country up-close at a slow speed. I already knew it was beautiful, but I feel that I know these places more intimately now: their roads, their roadkill, their hills.

Meeting great people along the way was one of the best things about the trip. Because we traveled mostly through small towns, we were always somewhat of a spectacle and people loved to stop and ask us questions. It will be strange being a "nobody" again after two months of virtual celebrity. The people we met were friendly and generous. Many times, we were fortunate to be offered food and lodging, and people were always helpful with information about the area.

Many thanks to all my companions on the trip: Wesley, Dave, Rosemary, Fox, Debbie, and Karin. You were always a ton of fun, and a source of inspiration and motivation when my legs didn't want to pedal anymore.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

You've made us all proud! Welcome home. We love you lots and have missed you more!
Laura, Carlton and Lionel

Unknown said...

Awesome, congratulations. We'll miss your blog entries. Maybe now you need to start blogging a new topic. "CA's Big Job Search!" or "CA's Big Reintroduction to Non Bike Riding Society!"

Maxine said...

It was so amazing to follow your trip (of USA) through cyberspace! Imagine that just 10 years ago we wouldn't have been able to do this, know where you were every day and know that you were safe and well. I'll miss starting my day reading your blog. Keep on riding!

Unknown said...

Ceci,

You rode your bike across North America. BFD. There's six more continents...

When you dipped your tire into the top of the surfline in Ocean Beach I knew you would succeed in your journey. At least I knew after the first week.

Alpine Dave said...

About that first week:

So it's day one and on a really not very steep uphill, Ceci is collapsed on the side of the road telling me she wants to "go live in the trees". Rosemary and Wesley are up the road wanting no part of coming back down and I later hear Wesley is having serious doubts about the whole trip. We get our first "Yogi" when a woman pulls over and gives us a coke with ice. I'm hoping I can just get her up over the hill to the ride down to Temecula.
Day two sucks because we have no water and need to knock on doors for help.
Day three and I'm again on the side of the road with Ceci telling me she just wants to camp right there (and there is no there, there.) Thank goodness Fox and Rosemary have a truck to get her over the mountain.
Day four and we're hiding under the smallest sign you can imagine for shade and later Ceci wants to just stay at the next town, but the "town" of Red Mountain is a severe exaggeration. Thankfully a helpful guy tells us we only have one mile to go to Johannesburg!
As much as I love Cecilia, and wanted to have faith in her, there's no way I thought she'd ever make it!
As time went on, we gathered strength. Nevertheless, the entire state of Nevada was a nightmare. Day after day of heat and hills. Her shoulder hurt so bad she couldn't sleep. The soreness from the seat that started in California never went away. Eventually, her knees could hardly push her legs down on the pedals. (Recall the day in Utah she had to hitch a ride after only five post lunch miles. Her text that day was "Gear felt heavy, heart heavier".) As we neared the place where I knew I'd have to turn back, I started to feel her out. Did she really think she had what it would take. Was she really prepared for Wesley to lose patience and leave her alone (which I had talked to him about on about day four. He did have a time limit after all.)
I assured her we'd all still love her and respect her if she made it as far as her brother's and just called it off in Colorado. I reminded her that other people we knew had tried long trips and we'd not lost respect for them having to give in to the realities of the situation and call it quits before the finish.
So when you read now that she made it all the way, realize it was never a forgone conclusion. It's easy to say we all knew she'd do it, but I'm not sure she knew she'd do it. But she did do it!
Cecilia, I am SO proud of you. Through the pain and the rain and the hills and the heat, you pushed on. Congratulations and well done.
Love always,
David

Alpine Dave said...

Oh, and as amazing it is that Cecilia made it, it might be even more amazing that her bicycle made it. What a piece of work. Just how many bike shops did you stop at? And did you really need to drop it so many times? Thank goodness bike people are nice people. Miss you, hiss.

srenne said...

Here I thought I'd sent my entry to your blog..This would be it.
The fun and memories you experienced out there will be hard to beat. And that special feeling you have traveling those back-roads will be hard to duplicate. But there IS a way..plan another trip!! Remember, we're hoping to maybe ride New Orleans- Minneapolis in Sept. '09.
Keep it in mind. And let me add one more hearty CONGRATULATIONS.
You are one special lady, and I wish you all the best as your life accelerates back to "normal".
Press

Unknown said...

CONGRATS CECI! You are an inspiration. What a ride, hey? Love, Gena

Unknown said...

Ceci,

Reflecting on your major accomplishment makes my head swim.
You'll be remembering bits and pieces of your "excellent adventure" for the rest of your life. You have lots to be proud of!
Thanks for all the pleasure your blog has provided over these few months. Happy to welcome you back to the Big Bad East!!
Love, Alan

Unknown said...

Congrats Ceci! What an accomplishment...and what an amazing memory you will carry with you...good luck to you in whatever you decide to do next!

Molly Shapiro, L.Ac said...

Ceci is the kind of woman to turn dreams into goals...and then accomplish them. I am proud to be her friend.

Jamie said...

Huge congratulations from Jamie and Erin, your friends from O'Brien's!

That's a seriously huge accomplishment. The San Diego crew missed you; don't forget to visit us now and then.

Video Game Nerd B said...

Hey Ms Anderson, Congrats On Your Bike Ride. Have A Great Life...Oh And By The Way, Visit The Multicultural Fair At Longfellow This Year.

Seeya,

(From Brandon C.)

Unknown said...

hi ms.anderson! its monica
we all miss you so much!
uh we didnt have ur email but someone found this. oh i changed schools cuz they got rid of he two best teachers ever! my new english teacher though reminds me of you so much and sge recomends the same books you do
im currently reading farenhight 451
and true sight
well we all miss you
-monica